Bloodline and Helping Those in Need

With all the free time on my hands, I have been absolutely binging television series' and movies. I am currently working my way through Sopranos, while on the side I just finished Ozark. Once my family finished Ozark we started a series on Netflix called Bloodline. I am only through the first episode, and one deeper meaning of the show has stuck with me. It is about a family who owns a hotel in the Florida Keys, and the family is quite unique in many ways. The one aspect that stuck with me is that the oldest brother Danny, who is a drug user and has been in conflict and trouble his whole life (since I’m only through the first episode so I don’t know what happened) and has looked to his younger brother John who is an upstanding citizen and a local sheriff to bail him out on all his mistakes. John is perfectly okay with helping his brother out because he knows that his brother is troubled and in need of help and that John is responsible and can provide help. Yet after a while, the question that came to me is, should someone who is either of power or responsible feel obligated to assist those in need or trouble? I think the answer would definitely be yes if the one in power is an older sibling because they often feel they need to protect the younger ones. Yet in this case, Danny is the oldest, and still always finds himself in trouble while John is faced with the decision of whether to help his brother out again or let him fend for himself. In my personal opinion, I think Danny needs to find his way out of his own problems, and not always turn to John for help because he’ll never learn until he gets into a bad enough situation where John can’t save him. The overlying question of all of this is should people of authority help those who are incapable of saving themselves. This has come over the news lately when celebrities have been donating money to aid the impact of the virus, which don’t get me wrong is an incredible thing, but I wonder, and truly don’t have an answer to is if you do make more money than you could possibly spend, are you a bad person not to be charitable and help those less fortunate?

Comments