Coping with Movies during Quarantine


In my life, the one constant source of relief, happiness, and hope is cinema. I’m not sure if there was ever a time where I’d pass up watching a movie. My favorites are classics like The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption, The Departed, and Good Will Hunting. To me cinema means more to me than just actors playing some character, I truly enjoy breaking down the plot, analyzing the acting, watching character development, and just losing myself in the movie. Yes, you can say I’m a movie nerd, or that I take the fun out of watching the movies, yet me liking a movie may look different than anyone else. For example, when I watch one of my all-time favorites: Fight Club, I don’t just see two guys beating the life out of each other, I see an insomniac man who struggles to find his true identity, then develops a counterpart who is everything he wants to be. I don’t only like great dramas, I love Ted, most Marvel movies, psychological thrillers like Memento and Inception, war movies like Zero Dark Thirty, and the animations of Wes Anderson in Fantastic Mr. Fox. I’m the type of person that will see anything that’s gotten good reviews, for example, I’ll see Ready or Not (which is a random movie which turns hide and seek into murder, but it was highly praised) yet I won’t see Cats or Men in Black International since they would be absolutely a waste of my time. My love for movies is especially important in a scary and confusing time like our world today. Instead of listening to the news where I would hear millions that are infected and the number of deaths, I’ll watch Se7en or Foxcatcher. Movies provide an escape for the scary reality of today, and even if it’s for 2 hours, it will truly brighten my day and I’ll walk away with more knowledge and hope.

Comments